Monday, October 26, 2009

SouthWestern Egg Rolls and an apology

Before I post the recipe for these delicious babies I just wanted to apologize to my blog readers for my lack of posts recently.

I am very picky about the recipes I post here and I only want to share ones I've tried multiple times and absolutely love. Perfectionism is a good thing but sometimes it can be self defeating. I have to pick between output and quality and I've decided that I'll always choose quality. I hope all of my readers understand.

Without further ado!

Southwestern Egg Rolls


1 pkg. Egg roll wrappers*
1 lb chicken breast cooked and shredded
Taco Seasoning to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz. canned corn
4 oz. canned black beans
Canola oil for frying

To seal the egg rolls:
Mix equal parts flour and water so that you have a paste to seal the egg rolls.

* I found the egg roll wrappers at Sprout's farmers market. It cost around $3 for 12 egg roll wrappers, the brand was Wing Hing.


Cook and shred the chicken breast. Add taco seasoning, cilantro and water and cook on low until the chicken is well seasoned. Take one of the egg roll wrappers, fill it with a scoop of the chicken mixture, a scoop of beans, a scoop of corn and top with a sprinkling of cheese. Take the flour/water paste and apply it to one of the edges of the egg roll wrapper. Fold two of the sides in and then roll downwards until closed. Rub the flour/water side a few times to make sure it's sealed.

Ways to cook these:
1. Deep fry
2. Pan fry
3. Bake

The best method hands down is to deep fry them, the second best is pan frying. Just fry the egg rolls until they are golden brown and then put on a paper towel to drain. I wouldn't recommend baking them. I tried to bake them for 30 minutes and they were completely mushy and gross. I baked them longer and they were dry and tough, I even took a picture to demonstrate how unappetizing these looked and believe me they tasted worse.


How to roll them:

































No comments:

Post a Comment